Metropolitan Police Historical Collection
Many police artefacts, previously hidden from view, are now on permanent public display at the Met's new Heritage Centre. Staff will rotate displays from the 15,000 items that make up the Metropolitan Police Heritage Centre. These include uniforms, old maps of London, police equipment etc.
Address: The Metropolitan Police Heritage Centre, The Annexe, Empress State Building, Empress Approach, Lillie Road, West Brompton, London, SW6 1TR.
Opening: 10.00hrs to 16.00hrs weekdays. Appointments are not necessary, but appreciated 0207 161 1234.
Nearest Underground Station: West Brompton
Turn left outside West Brompton Underground station and we are on the right about 200 metres away, opposite the Lilly hotel.
The Met. Police Historical Collection research material consists of:-
- Central Records of Service from 1911.
- 54.000 name database from 1829 which is updated regularly.
- Pension cards for pensioners who have died.
- Police Orders from 1857
- Joiners and Leavers Records. (copies from National Archive)
- Divisional Ledgers. (consisting of collar Numbers, previous occupation and armed forces service) for certain periods of time for A,B,E,F,G,H,K,L,M,N,R and Y Divisions.
- Subject and People files.
- Photographs - in the process of being scanned to Hi-Res from a vast collection.
These Databases are held at the Metropolitan Police Heritage Centre. They are excellent and unique finding aids for family history researchers tracing ancestors with Metropolitan Police connections.
Requesting a search from the Metropolitan Police Heritage Centre is free of charge. If you would like the Centre to find your relative, please send as much information as you have available, including full name, date and place of birth and if possible, the date joined or years served, either by post using this search sheet or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are interested in buying Metropolitan Police merchandise,
For further information please contact us - or write to
12 Little Aston Road,