Many police artefacts, previously hidden from view, are now on permanent public display at the Met's new Heritage Centre. Staff will rotate displays from the 15,000 items that make up the Metropolitan Police Heritage Centre. These include uniforms, old maps of London, police equipment etc.
Searches for Metropolitan Police ancestors can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. When making enquiries, please give as much information as possible e.g. full name, date and place of birth and, if possible, previous occupation. Alternatively, you can download and complete this Search Sheet, as much as possible, and send it to the Heritage Centre.
Please note that, due to shortage of staff, results may take some time.
Address: The Metropolitan Police Heritage Centre, The Annexe, Empress State Building, Empress Approach, Lillie Road, West Brompton, London, SW6 1TR.
Open : Wednesday to Friday, 10.00 to 16.00.
Entry : Free
Nearest Underground Station: West Brompton
Turn left outside West Brompton Underground station and you will find it on the right about 200 metres away, opposite the Lilly hotel.
The Metropolitan Police Historical Collection research material consists of:-
- 54.000 name database from 1829 which is updated regularly.
- Central Records of Service from 1911.
- pension cards for pensioners who have died.
- Police Orders from 1857.
- joiners' and leavers' records. (copies from National Archive)
- Divisional Ledgers. (consisting of collar numbers, previous occupation and armed forces service) for certain periods of time for A,B,E,F,G,H,K,L,M,N,R and Y Divisions.
- subject and people files.
- photographs - in the process of being scanned to Hi-Res from a vast collection.
These databases are held at the Metropolitan Police Heritage Centre. They are excellent and unique aids for researching family history and tracing ancestors with Metropolitan Police connections.
If you are interested in buying Metropolitan Police merchandise, see Metgifts.
Orders must be placed, in person or by telephoning the Heritage Centre - 0207 161 1234.